With Thanksgiving coming fast and furious, it’s time to prep your pies and other goodies for the big feast. I’m not a pumpkin pie person myself, which leaves me in a bit of a conundrum for the holiday. I thought by finding a spin on the typical pumpkin pie ingredients, that I could redeem myself.
These Pumpkin Bars were very easy to create and make enough for the whole family. The fluffy cream cheese frosting is just sweet enough to compliment the light, pumpkin layer. Give them a shot for a pumpkin pie alternative this Thanksgiving! Enjoy!
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields: 20 bars
Ingredients for Bars:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 6 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons butter (at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Directions for Bars:
1.) Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream sugar and eggs together until well mixed. Next add oil and pumpkin until well incorporated.
2.) Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until smooth.
3.) Pour into 10 1/2 X 15 1/2 inch baking pan. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Directions for Frosting:
1.) Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
2.) Next alternate adding the powdered sugar and milk until well incorporated and frosting has a light and fluffy consistency.
3.) Once bars are cool, spread frosting over the top.
Notes and Tips:
- It’s best to have the butter and cream cheese at room temperature for the frosting.
- Bars can be stored covered in the refrigerator for a few days or you can freeze the pan and cut off pieces as needed. The bars have a richer flavor when served cold.