Things have been “bananas” lately so I thought it would be fitting to make a treat out of bananas. These banana oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are a perfect addition to any busy morning or for a great snack. The oatmeal adds texture and the chocolate chips add a bit of sweetness. The base of this recipe is my standby banana bread recipe. I enjoy making the banana muffins slightly more than the bread because it’s the same great taste and it takes half the time. Give them a shot- enjoy!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe adapted from: Pillsbury
Yields: 18 muffins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 medium) mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1.) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper muffin liners in the muffin cups.
2.) In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter until well incorporated. Next mix in the mashed bananas.
3.) Add the vanilla extract and the 2 eggs and mix well.
4.) Next stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and oats. Lastly fold in the chocolate chips.
5.) Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, fill muffin cups until 2/3 full with batter.
6.) Bake muffins in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean). The tops should be lightly browned. Take muffins out of pan and cool on cooling racks. Store in air tight container.
Notes and Tips:
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature before you start mixing the batter. Softened butter will make for a smooth, creamy batter.
- Using well-browned (or even black!) bananas will create a strong punch of banana flavor for the muffins.
- Feel free to omit the chocolate chips and/or add 1/2 cup of your favorite nut.
- If you are looking to cut a few calories- I’ve made these muffins in the past with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of Splenda and they turned out just as tasty.
- These muffins freeze very well and can be defrosted quickly in the AM for breakfast or for drop-in guests. Freeze in zip top bags and defrost muffins for 30 seconds in the microwave.